Mince Pies and Mulled Wine – Issue 21
Mince Pies and Mulled Wine
Mince pie filling
- 325g (11 ½oz) dried fruit mix
- 75g (2 ½oz) apples (any eating variety), grated
- Grated rind and juice of ½ an orange
- Grated rind and juice of ½ a lemon
- 2cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 35g (1 ¼oz) agave nectar
- 1 tbsp mixed spice powder
- 70ml (2 ½floz) vegan brandy, whisky or rum
- 250g (8 ¾oz) plain (all–purpose) flour
- 125g (4 ½oz) icing sugar
- 125g (4 ½oz) vegan margarine
- 2–3 tbsp cold water
Mulled wine accompaniment
- 1 bottle of vegan red wine
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Grated nutmeg
- 1 orange, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- Prepare the filling: combine all filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly. Cover and leave to stand for 24 hours. Ask the family to stop and give it a stir each time they pass by.
- Pack the mixture into sterilised or dishwasher–clean jars (Kilner jars are ideal) and top with greaseproof paper jam covers. Seal the jars tightly and store in a cool place.
- Prepare the pastry: preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Grease a 12 hole muffin tray with vegan margarine.
- Add all pastry ingredients to a food processor and pulse until the mixture forms a dough. Split the dough into two pieces, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a clean worktop and a rolling pin. Roll the pastry out until it is approximately 2mm thick.
- Using a suitable cutter, cut 12 circles from the pastry and place each one into the greased tray. Cut a matching number of stars from the remaining pastry.
- Add a tablespoon of your mincemeat filling to each pastry case and top with a star.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes, or until golden.
- To make your mulled wine, place all ingredients into a saucepan and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved and the flavours have infused. Pour into heat–proof glasses and enjoy.
Vegan Kitchen Issue 25March 21st, 2017
Winter Warmer: Thai Coconut Soup with Sophie GordonFebruary 17th, 2017
Cauliflower Pizza Base – Issue 24February 13th, 2017
Beetroot Risotto – Issue 23January 12th, 2017
Enchilada Power Bowl with Spicy Tofu – Issue 22December 23rd, 2016