Vegan Kitchen Issue 27
Marinated Tofu Sandwich
Protein: 5.9g | Carbohydrates: 14.0g | Sugars: 1.5g | Fat: 5.0g | Saturates: 0.8g | Salt: 0.90g
For the Tofu
- 350g (1½ cups) extra firm tofu cut into 8 slices
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 130ml (½ cup) vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp water
For the sandwich
- 35g (1/3 cup) slices red cabbage
- 1 large beef tomato
- A handful of lettuce
- ½ red onion
- Handful of chopped white mushrooms
- 4 slices of rye bread
- Vegan butter
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Combine the liquid smoke, vegetable stock, tamari, maple syrup, and water together in a shallow dish.
- Place your tofu slices in to marinate and set aside for at least 30 minutes (you can always marinate overnight for a fuller flavour).
- Prep the cabbage, tomatoes, lettuce and onion ready to assemble your sandwich.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add coconut oil, once melted, place tofu slices into the pan.
- Add half the marinade to the pan, cook for about 5 minutes, or until tofu is golden brown. Flip tofu and add the remaining marinade to the pan. Cook for a further 3-5 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- In the same pan, fry the chopped mushrooms for 3-4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Assemble the sandwiches as you wish, making a total of 2 sandwiches.
Tofu and Spinach Quiche
Protein: 6.3g | Carbohydrates: 7.7g | Sugars: 0.8g | Fat: 9.3g | Saturates: 2.6g | Salt: 0.45g
- 1 packet firm tofu
- 75g (½ cup) raw cashews
- 350g fresh organic spinach, steamed
- 2 tbsp organic gluten-free Tamari
- 65g (¼ cup) nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tsp organic onion powder
- 2 tsp organic garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried organic rosemary
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 packet pre made vegan shortcrust pastry.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C (375°F, Gas Mark 5).
- In your food processor, pulse the cashews until fine.
- Combine the tofu, tamari, nutritional yeast, garlic, and spices and blend until creamy.
- Add your steamed spinach and pulse until combined, adjust seasoning.
- Lay your pre rolled pastry into a greased shallow pie tin and add your tofu mixture & smooth over.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the top is browned. (If your centre isn’t completely firm don’t worry – it’ll firm as it cools.)
Silken Tofu Chocolate Mousse
Protein: 10.0g | Carbohydrates: 17.0g | Sugars: 16.0g | Fat: 11.0g | Saturates: 4.5g | Salt: 0.22g
- 1 pack (340 g) silken tofu
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Chopped nuts of your choice
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds until the chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool.
- Place the tofu and agave in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and continue to blend until combined.
- Scoop the mixture into glasses and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings and chopped nuts.
Vegan Kitchen Issue 27May 16th, 2017
Roast Garlic HoumousMay 8th, 2017
Vegan Kitchen Issue 25March 21st, 2017
Winter Warmer: Thai Coconut Soup with Sophie GordonFebruary 17th, 2017
Cauliflower Pizza Base – Issue 24February 13th, 2017