For the onions:
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 lime
- ½ orange
For the Mole Sauce:
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 1tbsp Chipotle chilli past
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 2tbsp Meridian Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1tbsp Meridian Date Syrup
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 20g dark chocolate (70-80% cocoa solids)
For the tacos:
- 400g tin mixed beans
- 1 avocado
- 4 corn tacos
- Put the sliced onion into a bowl and pour over boiling water from the kettle. Steep for 1-2 minutes then drain well. Squeeze over the lime and orange juice, add the pepper corns and sprinkle with ½ tsp of salt. Stir well and leave to stand.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion gently for 5-8 minutes until it’s softened. Stir in the chipotle paste, cinnamon, cumin, coriander and oregano, cook for a minute until it becomes fragrant.
- Stir in the peanut butter and date syrup, followed by the chopped tomatoes and chocolate. Season and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, heat the can of beans into a saucepan for 5 minutes then drain. Skin and chop the avocado. Combine the warm beans and avocado in a bowl with salt and pepper.
- Warm the tacos as per the pack instructions, spread with the mole sauce then pile on 2-3 tbsp of the bean mixture. Top with some pink onions and serve.
Recipe and images from www.meridianfoods.co.uk