This is a really quick and simple dish, BBQ beans are a popular side dish in America, but by adding the smoked tofu it transforms this into a hearty meal packed with protein from the beans and tofu.
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 225g block smoked tofu, cubed into 15mm pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, pureed
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 240ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 1 400g tin cannellini beans, drained
- 1 400g tin kidney beans, drained
- Firstly, pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6, then use the rice flour to coat the tofu cubes, once coated place onto an oven tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil, and leave to bake for 20-25 minutes until tofu starts to go golden brown.
- Next heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the onions, garlic and red pepper and fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the paprika, cumin and chilli flakes and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the Worcester sauce, liquid smoke, maple syrup, sugar, chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, tomato puree, cannellini beans and kidney beans. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes
- Remove the tofu from the oven, then add the tofu and allow to simmer for a further 5-10 minutes until thickened.