- 454g (4 1/2 cups) gluten-free and vegan
pasta (or pasta of choice)
- 40g (¼ cup plus 1 tbsp) cashews,
soaked overnight and drained
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp plus 1 ½ tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped ½ tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 240ml (1 cup) water
- 30g (¼ cup) chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp chopped chives, plus chive
flowers for garnish
- 34g (1 cup) packed watercress
- Freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
- Begin cooking the pasta, according to instructions on the bag. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
- Place the soaked cashews in an upright high-speed blender; add the oil, yeast, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the water and flour, turn the heat to medium and continue to whisk for 6 to 7 minutes, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of a roux. Gently and carefully pour the mixture into the blender. Blend on high for 1 minute, until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust any seasonings, if needed. Add 1 tablespoon of chives and blend on medium for about 30 seconds.
- In the last 30 seconds of cooking the pasta to al dente, add the watercress and cook until wilted. Drain the pasta and watercress and quickly rinse with cold water to stop them from cooking.
- Transfer the pasta and watercress to a serving bowl. Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix. Taste and adjust salt, if needed. Serve hot with remaining 1 tablespoon of chives, chive flowers, and nutmeg.
Calories: 332, Carbohydrates: 55.0g, Sugars: 2.0g, Fat: 6.3g, Saturates: 1.1g, Protein: 13.0g, Salt: 0.25g
Recipe and Images from: Chickpea Flour Does It All: Glluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian Recipes for Every Taste and Season ©Lindsey S. Love, 2016.
January 2018 (Issue 34) Vegan Life Magazine