Banana Blossom Fish & Chips
This Banana Blossom Fish & Chips recipe created by Dr Chintal’s Kitchen is in collaboration with Sarson’s Vinegar.
For the ‘Fish’
- 1 tin banana blossom – 510gms
- 2 tbsp nori sprinkle (or finely cut up some nori sheets)
For the Batter
- 100g plain flour
- 100g cornflour
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp nori sprinkles
- 150ml sparkling water/or beer for beer batter
- Oil for deep frying
For the Chips
- 800g potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- First, open the tin and drain the banana blossom.
- Place in an airtight container, sprinkle on the nori and leave in a fridge for an hour (or overnight if you can wait that long!).
- The nori will add the flavour of the sea to our ‘fish’.
- When you are ready to fry the fish, heat the oil in your fryer or a deep pan.
- For the batter, mix together the flour, corn starch, baking powder, turmeric and nori in a bowl.
- Add the sparkling water/beer and stir well to form a thick batter that’s ready to use right away.
- Pat each banana blossom with a paper towel to remove any excess water, dip into the batter mix and dip into the hot oil, fry on a medium heat until golden and just turning brown.
- Serve right away with chips, peas and a good drizzle of Sarson’s Vinegar.
- For the chips, wash and slice some small potatoes (keeping the skin on for more fibre), drizzle in olive oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
- Bake the chips in the oven at 180C/350F/Gas 5 for about 30 minutes until crispy.