These overnight oats make a fantasticly easy and nutritious breakfast keeping you fuelled for the day ahead.
Serves 2 or 3
For the Overnight Oats
- 85g (7/8 cup) gluten-free rolled oats
- 375ml (12/3 cup) unsweetened almond milk, plus more as needed
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½-1 tsp ground cinnamon, to taste
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Small pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 large Honeycrisp or Gala apple, unpeeled, grated
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- Ground allspice
- Ground ginger
- Raisins or chopped dates
- Ground cinnamon
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Diced apple
- Drizzle of pure maple syrup
- Coconut whipped cream
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, grated apple and chia seeds until thoroughly combined. Taste and season with allspice and ginger. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1-2 hours, or up to overnight. The mixture will thicken and the oats will soften. If the mixture is too thick for your liking, you can add a splash of almond milk and stir until combined.
- Portion into bowls and add your desired toppings. Serve chilled, or reheat it in a saucepan on the hob and serve warm, if you prefer. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
Taken from March 2017 (Issue 24) Vegan Life Magazine
Recipes and images from Oh She Glows Every day by Angela Liddon