It's National Curry Week (7th -13th October 2020), so we want to share this gorgeous Aubergine madras with you from Brett Cobley - a chef, vegan entrepreneur and author of the bestselling cookbook ‘What Vegans Eat' (Brett’s next cookbook comes out in early 2021).
- 1 ripe aubergine chopped into cubes
- 1 onion cut up chunky
- 4 cloves of garlic finely diced
- 75g (1/2 cup) raisins
- 2 tbsp madras paste
- 1 400ml tin coconut milk
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- Vegetable oil
- Drizzle the vegetable oil into a frying pan set over a medium heat, add the cubes of aubergine and onion to the pan and fry for 5 minutes on a high heat.
- Add the madras paste, raisins and garlic to the pan, stirring all of the ingredients together to coat them in the paste. Leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk in to the pan and stir to mix the madras paste and milk into a creamy sauce.
- Add the spinach and leave to wilt for 5 minutes before stirring the mixture together.
Brett is a firm believer that good food and open conversation can change the world. In early 2016 he made the decision to go vegan overnight. Having always been passionate about cooking and eating, especially with friends and family, Brett made it his mission to veganise all his favourite meals, developing creative, delicious and comforting dishes to show that a vegan lifestyle is inclusive, simple and full of flavour, and so his first cookbook, What Vegans Eat, was born!
Brett Cobley, Author of ‘What Vegan’s Eat’ - @brettcobley