A filling vegan supper of sweet roasted shallots and butternut squash topped with crispy herbs breadcrumbs.
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1kg of butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 5cm/2in chunks
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 12 shallots, peeled
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp of rosemary leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- zest of 1 orange
- 120g of fresh white/brown breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/ gas 6
- Peel the butternut squash and discard the seeds. Cut the flesh into large bite-sized chunks about 5cm.
- Place the shallots in an ovenproof dish and toss with 1 tbsp of the oil, season with sea salt and black pepper and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and add the butternut squash and making sure the vegetables are well coated with the oil and butter mixture and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a saucepan over a moderate heat with the garlic and cook for one minute taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the chilli, rosemary, parsley and the orange zest, stirring all the time, when thoroughly mixed add the breadcrumbs and season. Cook for a further minute then take off the heat and set aside.
- Remove the shallots and squash from the oven and reduce the heat to 180c and spread the breadcrumb mixture over the top and return to the oven for a further 25-30 minutes or till the breadcrumbs are a deep golden colour.
This dish is also good as a main course served with a green salad and crusty bread. You could also use pumpkin and this would be good at Christmas with turkey
Recipe and Images Courtesy of www.UKShallot.com