This decadent, creamy cheesecake is contrasted beautifully by juicy, ripe plums. It’s worth trying to find in-season Victoria plums for the best flavour, but any variety will work well in this recipe.
For the cheesecake:
- 200g (2 cups) vegan digestive biscuits
- 3 tbsp flavourless coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 75g (1/2 cup) cashews, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 400g (2 cups) dairy-free cream cheese
- 225g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- ½ lemon, juice only
For the plums:
- 750g plums, halved and de-stoned
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthwise
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4. Break the biscuits into a food processor and add the coconut oil and salt. Pulse together until you have fine crumbs and everything is combined. Tip this into a 20cm spring form tin and press down evenly over the bottom to create the base and set aside.
- Drain the cashews and add them to the food processor or a blender with the coconut milk and lemon juice. Blend until smooth before adding in the rest of the cheesecake ingredients. Blend again until smooth.
- Pour the filling onto the base and tap the sides to disperse any air bubbles. Cover the top of the tin with foil and transfer to the oven to bake for 1 hour. After this time, remove the foil and leave the cheesecake in the oven to cool for another hour. Chill in the tin overnight, or for a minimum of 2 hours.
- While the cheesecake is cooking, arrange the halved plums in a baking dish and sprinkle over the sugar. Add the cinnamon and the halved vanilla pod and cover the dish with foil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until fruit is softened but still holding its shape.
- Serve the sliced cheesecake with some plums and a drizzle of dairy-free cream.
Per serving (216g) Calories: 412, Carbohydrates: 54g, Sugars: 41g, Salt: 0.41g, Fat: 19g Saturates: 11g, Protein: 5.4g
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine