This December, Vegan Life Magazine were invited to the Tesco’s event Vegmas – a Plant-based Christmas Feast.
The event was hosted by vegan chef and Tesco’s very own Director of Plant-Based Innovation and the Wicked Kitchen founder, Derek Sarno.
The cooking duo BOSH! created this delicious dish ‘Bangers in Blankets’ for the occasion so we thought we would share their recipe with you to try this Christmas.
For the ‘bangers’:
- 6 imperator carrots
For the ‘blankets’:
- 1 medium aubergine
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp smoked salt
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Peel the carrots, cut off the stalks, put them in a saucepan, cover with cold water, put the saucepan on the stove over a high heat and bring the water to the boil. Drain the carrots after 5 minutes of boiling and leave them to steam dry.
- Pour the olive oil, maple syrup, smoked salt, smoked paprika and black pepper into a wide bowl and mix together with a fork until the salt has dissolved.
- Chop the stalk off the aubergine and slice off the skin with a small sharp knife. Cut the peeled aubergine longways into quarters. Cut each quarter into thin slices that are roughly 3mm thick. Toss the aubergine slices in the marinade and leave for 5 minutes.
- Cut the carrots into 2-inch-long pieces and carefully round off the ends with a sharp knife. Tightly wrap the ‘bangers’ with the marinated slices of aubergine, securing with a cocktail stick. Put the bangers in blankets on the lined baking sheet.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake the ‘Bangers in Blankets’ for 30 minutes until totally cooked through and dark in colour. Turn the sausages halfway through the cooking time. Take the sausages out of the oven and serve immediately.