- 3 medium beetroot
- 400g (2 cups) pearl barley
- 1400ml (6 cups) vegetable stock (homemade or shop bought)
- 4 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 120ml (½ cup) dry white wine
- Salt and pepper
- 40g (½ cup) grated vegan parmesan (optional)
- 1-2 spring onions to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7).
- Tightly wrap the beetroot in foil and roast on a baking tray until tender (about 1½ hours).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, peel and discard the ends, and cut into small cubes.
- Bring the vegetable stock to a simmer.
- In a separate pan melt 2 tablespoons of the margarine. Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Next add the barley, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add the wine to the barley and simmer, stirring constantly, until absorbed.
- Stir in 120ml (½ cup) stock, stirring constantly, until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding stock, about 120ml (½ cup) at a time until all stock is absorbed and the barley is tender (30 minutes).
- Stir in the beetroot cubes and season with salt and pepper. Stir until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons margarine and parmesan (if using). Serve with a sprinkling of chopped spring onions.