Makes 10-12 | Prep time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
- 4 small beetroots
- 2 chia eggs (1:3 tbsp of chia:water)
- 1 tbsp of coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp of cumin seeds
- 65g (1/2 cup) of chopped walnuts
- 65g (1/2 cup) of ground walnuts
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Preheat the grill to 180C.
- Set a small, well salted pan of water on full heat. Chop the beetroot roughly and add to the water when it begins to boil. Leave the pan on maximum heat to cook for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl; mix your chia eggs and set them aside to thicken (around 5 minutes).
- Toast your seeds in a pan on medium heat until they begin to brown and you can smell the spices toasting. Take them off the heat and add them to the same mixing bowl as the chia seeds.
- Replace the pan on medium heat and toast the walnuts until they are browned, set aside to cool.
- Crush and finely chop the garlic, adding it with the toasted chopped walnuts and the ground walnuts to the same mixing bowl with the chia seeds, and season to taste.
- When the beetroot is done, drain the water and mash it roughly in the pan. Add it to the mixing bowl with the other ingredients and mix them thoroughly. The mixture should have a slightly wet, clumpy texture; if it is too wet, add some more ground walnut, if it is too dry, add a tsp of water at a time.
- Taking heaped tablespoons of the mixture to measure the size of the falafels, carefully ball them and lay them on a baking tray. Grill them for 10-15 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes to evenly cook them.
Recipe provided by Barney Pau Food (www.barneypau.com/food) – Instagram @barneypau