- 2-3 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cooked vacuum-packed beetroots, grated (in natural juices, not vinegar)
- 2 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Coconut Flour
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- ‘egg’ replacer, the equivalent of one egg
For the slaw
- 2 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Agave Syrup
- Zest and juice 1 ½ lime
- ½ small red cabbage, very finely sliced
- 1 small ripe mango, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- Small bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 6 burger buns
- 2-3 avocados
- Lettuce leaves
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook, stirring for 5 mins until softened, then add the garlic and cook for 1 min more. Stir in the paprika and tomato puree and cook for 2 mins, then set aside.
- Tip the black beans into a bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork until well crushed. Add the onion and garlic mixture, grated beetroot, coconut flour, breadcrumbs, egg replacer and plenty of seasoning, then mix well. Using damp hands form into 6 patties and place on a foil-lined tray. Chill for at least 30 mins to firm up.
- Meanwhile to make the slaw, combine the agave syrup, lime zest and juice in a bowl, then stir through the cabbage, mango, spring onions, coriander and seasoning.
- Time to fire up the grill! Once the burgers have finished chilling, heat 1-2 tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan and cook the burgers for 2-3 mins each side, turning carefully, you may need to do this in batches. Transfer to the grill and keep turning until cooked through, popping the buns in the oven to warm through for the last few mins. Leave the burgers to cool a little.
- OR Heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Once the burgers have finished chilling. Heat 1-2 tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan and cook the burgers for 2-3 mins each side, turning carefully, you may need to do this in batches. Transfer to a foil-lined tray and bake for 20 mins until cooked through, popping the buns in the oven to warm through for the last few mins. Leave the burgers to cool a little
- When ready to serve, mash the avocado with remaining half lime juice, and spread over the bases of the buns. Top with the patties, lettuce leaves and slaw, then pop on the lids and enjoy!
Recipe and Images Courtesy of the Groovy Food Company