Ever wondered what to do with your leftover rice? Well this black bean burrito casserole is the perfect option. All those kitchen staples come together in this comforting dinner. You can even use the leftovers of this casserole in a wrap for a delicious classic burrito lunch the next day!
- 300g uncooked brown rice (1000-1250 leftover cooked rice)
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small white or red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp natural taco seasoning (or make your own spice mix, see below)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 400 g can black beans
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 400 g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (cook for 2-3 minutes in the microwave to soften)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 50 g tortilla crisps, crushed (optional for crunchy topping)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/170ºC fan/gas 5 and lightly grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Make rice: (Skip if you have leftover rice) In a small saucepan, bring the rice and vegetable stock to boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Let simmer until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 40 to 50 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, you will have time to prep your casserole ingredients. Chop the onions, crush the garlic, dice the pepper, microwave and dice the sweet potato, measure out the spice mix and frozen sweetcorn. Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Once everything is prepped, heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic, spices and pepper. Stir well and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding the diced tomatoes.
- Let the mixture cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Once the liquid from the tomatoes is bubbling, turn off the heat.
- Add the black beans, sweet potato and corn to the pan and mix well. Once the rice is cooked and fluffed, add it to the pan. Mix everything together and transfer to the casserole dish.
- Top with crushed tortilla crisps and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the mixture is heated and crisps have lightly browned. Remove from the oven and serve with your favourite toppings like salsa, avocado and spring onions.
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Vega
At Vega®, Clean means: Non-GMO, suitable for vegetarians and vegans, gluten-free and non-dairy ingredients.