Who said hot cross buns have to be sweet? Turn this Easter classic savoury with this recipe, containing tomatoes, rosemary and black olives.
- 14g (2 tsp) dried yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 500g (4 cups) strong white bread flour
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp pitted black olives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 50g (scant ¼ cup) non-dairy butter
For the crosses
- 60g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- Pinch sea salt flakes
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves, very finely chopped
- Combine the yeast and the sugar in a bowl with 125ml warm (but not boiling) water. Mix well and set aside to let the yeast activate and the mixture become foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the bread flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and nutritional yeast.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mix until well combined. Stir through the olives, pesto, and rosemary.
- Make a well in the centre and add the foamy yeast water, plus another 185ml warm water. Mix the water in with your hands until a rough dough is formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, dusting with flour as you work.
- Once the dough is smooth and elastic, return it to the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Once risen, knock the air out of the dough and divide into 12. Roll each piece into a bun shape and place 1-2cm apart on a floured baking tray. Cover with oiled cling film and leave to rise for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 350°F).
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the crosses and a little water to make a paste. Place into a plastic sandwich bag or piping bag and snip off the very corner. Use this to carefully pipe crosses onto the tops of the buns.
- Mix together the aquafaba, melted nondairy butter and soya milk. Gently brush the tops of the buns with the glaze to add shine. Transfer to the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve immediately whilst still warm, or toast and spread with non-dairy butter. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
TIP: These will freeze well, wrapped securely, for up to 3 months. Defrost and toast before serving.
- Calories: 359
- Carbohydrates: 58.0g
- Sugars: 1.4g
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturates: 1.9g
- Protein: 12.0g
- Salt: 0.52g