- 1 potato, boiled in its skin for 20 minutes
- 1 beetroot, boiled in its skin for 40 minutes
- 6 slices brown or white bread
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or margarine (optional)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- ½ white onion, finely sliced
- 8 slices red pepper (optional)
- 8 slices cucumber (optional)
- 2 slices vegan cheese, such as Violife slices (optional)
- 2 pinches chaat masala
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
To make the ‘Green’ Chutney’
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- ½ bunch fresh mint
- 1/4 small white onion
- 1–2 fresh green chillies
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juic
- Pinch salt
- Firstly, prepare the ‘green’ chutney, by blending together all of the ingredients with a stick blender or in a food processor. Cover and set aside.
- Using gloved hands, rub the potato and beetroot/beet with your fingers to gently remove the skins. Cut into 5 mm thick slices.
- Butter the bread on both sides, if you like. Starting with the bottom layer, slather green chutney onto the bread, then add the tomato slices and onion. Add sliced (bell) peppers and cucumber or a slice or two of vegan cheese, if using.
- Sprinkle lightly with chaat masala powder, then add another slice of bread. Lay the slices of potato and beetroot on top and sprinkle with more chaat powder.
Spread more green chutney on the last slice of bread and place on top of your doubledecker sandwich. Repeat for the second sandwich.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, then add the oil. Lay the sandwich carefully in the hot pan and toast on both sides, turning carefully so as not to spill the contents. Toast in the pan until golden brown. Repeat with second sandwich, then slice in half and serve warm.
Per 100g Calories: 111, Carbohydrates: 17.0g, Sugars: 3.3g, Fat: 2.9g, Saturates: 1.4g, Protein: 3.6g, Salt: 0.66g
Recipe and Images from: My Vegan Travels by Jackie Kearney, Ryland Peters & Small
Photography by Clare Winfield © Ryland Peters & Small
February 2018 (Issue 35) Vegan Life Magazine