Lindsey’s 5 spice blend
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chile flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
For the pasta and sauce
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Califia Unsweetened Almond milk
- 350g -400g (3-4 cups) cubed butternut squash
- 75g (1/2 cup) cashews (soaked in water overnight, allows for easy and smooth blending and sauce)
- 230g (8oz) pasta tomato sauce
- 75g (1/2 cup) raw cashews (this is optional! if you want to use all soaked, you can)
- 24g (1/2 cup) nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 2-3 tsp good olive oil
- 1 box of large pasta shells
- 60g (2 cups) spinach
- Sage leaves
- Pine nuts or cashews
- Spinach leaves
- Start by making your roasted butternut squash. Cook the cubes in a 200C/400F/Gas 6 oven until cooked through and tender. season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place thwe cooked squash in a blender with the 75g of soaked cashews (just put them in water overnight), along with Lindsey’s 5 spice blend, nutritional yeast, cayenne and olive oil. Blend until a thick paste/sauce forms. This will be for your stuffing.
- Split the paste into half and leave the other half in the blender. Add your tomato sauce or tomato sauce of your choice, the other 75g raw cashews and 60ml of almond milk until sauce forms. This will be the mac n cheese sauce. Set aside both the paste for stuffing and the sauce.
- Start to sauté your spinach. All you have to do is heat a pan with 1 tsp olive oil and add in spinach until it wilts. Add sage to fry it up as well (optional).
- Once done, mix this with the butternut squash paste for the stuffing. While the spinach is sautéing, boil your pasta according to the package instructions, drain. You want them al dente.
- Get a baking dish and place your butternut squash sauce on the bottom layer of the dish. Then, gently place the shells in your pan or baking dish and start to stuff them with your paste mixed with the sage and spinach. Top with more sauce and place in the oven just so everything is the same temperature and the flavors can combine, for about 10-15 minutes.
- Top with either pine nuts or cashews, spinach and sage.
- Serve alongside extra sauce, enjoy!
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Califia Farms