If you miss the tangy savoury flavour of a delicious Caesar salad, then this is the dish for you. The Caesar sauce is creamy and satisfying and compliments the chargrilled lettuce wonderfully.
We’ve added some delicious Oumph! pieces to make this a filling and satisfying meal.
Serves 4 a s a side or starter, 2 as a main
For the Caesar dressing
- 3 tbsp aquafaba (brine from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 240ml (1 cup) rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (we used Biona)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce/Tamari
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the salad
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, cut into lengthways wedges
- Sour dough loaf, cubed or shop-bought croutons (optional)
- 1 280g bag Oumph! ‘The Chunk’ soya pieces
- 1 tbsp oil, to fry Oumph! pieces
- Vegan parmesan cheese, grated
- To make the Caesar dressing, put all the ingredients in a jug and blend using a stick (immersion) blender until thick and creamy, this will take seconds, so do not over blend. Set aside.
- If you are using homemade parmesan cheese then you can make this now by blending all the parmesan ingredients using a high-speed blender or a spice/coffee grinder.
- To cook you Oumph! pieces, lightly fry them in a little oil to brown them and cook them through, then set aside until you are ready to assemble your salad.
- Next, on a griddle pan, cook one side of your lettuce wedges for a few minutes on a high-heat so they get a nice chargrilled marking on one side then turn your lettuce wedge and chargrill the other side. Do this will all wedges.
- You are now ready to assemble your Caesar salad. Lay the wedges of chargrilled lettuce over a plate, followed by the Oumph! pieces. Sprinkle the croutons over the top then drizzle the Caesar dressing over the top followed by the parmesan cheese.
Top tip: To make your croutons, simply toss your cubed sour dough in a little oil and roast in the oven for about 10-15 minutes on 200C/400F/Gas 6.