This incredibly moist cake gives a fresh twist to the classic carrot cake. Gluten-free and surprisingly easy to make, it’s perfect for an elegant centrepiece for afternoon tea.
For the cake:
- 225g (2 cups) carrots (grated weight)
- 120ml (½ cup plus 1 tsp) orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 80ml (1/3 cup) water
- 200ml vegetable oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 70g (scant ¾ cup) pecans, roughly chopped
- 100g (½ cup) sultanas
- 170g (generous ¾ cup) brown sugar
- 280g (21/3 cups) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
For the topping:
- 50g (½ cup) icing sugar
- 1-2 tsp of water or orange juice
- Rose petals, pistachios and orange zest to finish
- Preheat oven 165°C/325°F/Gas 3. Mix the grated carrot with the orange juice, orange zest, water, oil and vanilla extract and set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 9-inch bundt tin and place in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for at least 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cake is cool, mix the icing sugar and water or orange juice until you have a glaze mixture. The consistency should be runny but not too thin. Drizzle over the cake and top with your choice of garnish.
Per serving (124g) Calories: 477, Carbohydrates: 52g, Sugars: 31g, Salt: 0.04g, Fat: 28g Saturates: 2.0g, Protein: 4.1g
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine