Get baking with this recipe for vegan carrot cake topped with cashew cream cheese frosting, nutmeg and orange zest
Serves: 10-15 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes
For the Cake
- 175g Light muscovado sugar
- 175mls Sunflower oil
- 175g Self-raising flour
- Vegan egg replacer made up according to package for 3 large eggs
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 100g sultanas
- Grated zest of 1 large orange
- 1 Tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 Tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ Tsp freshly grated nutmeg (plus extra for topping)
For the Cashew Frosting
- 1 2/3 cups cashews, soaked overnight
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 170DegC and line a 20in cake tin with baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar and oil, followed by the carrots, sultanas and orange zest.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and the spices into the bowl and mix.
- Once everything is combined, add the egg replacer and quickly mix together until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. The cake is cooked when it feels springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Once cooked, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- To make the cashew cream cheese frosting, place all the ingredients into a high speed blender and puree until very smooth, scraping down the sides if necessary. Keep the frosting chilled until ready to use.
- Generously top the cooled cake with the cashew icing and finish with a sprinkling of grated nutmeg and orange zest.
Tip: The un-iced cake can be kept, well wrapped, in the freezer for up to 3 months
Nutrition (per 100g)
Calories: 431 | Carbohydrates: 28.0g | Sugars: 14.0g | Fat: 33.0g | Saturates: 11.0g | Protein: 5.8g | Salt: 0.54g