For the fritters
- 200g cauliflower florets (1/2 cauliflower)
- 2 large leaves of kale
- 1 small leek
- 100g (3/4 cup) fine yellow cornmeal
- 100g (1 generous cup) chickpea flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 200ml (7/8 cup) almond milk
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets, slice the leek finely and strip the kale leaves from the stem and chop.
- Mix together the cornmeal, chickpea flour and baking powder, stir in the almond milk. Season with paprika and smoked paprika and salt, stir until it resembles a thick paste. Stir in the vegetables.
- Heat a large frying pan and add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil. Heat the oil until a drop of batter bubbles when you add it to the frying pan.
- Carefully drop 1 tablespoon of the fritter mix into the frying pan. Fry about 4 fritters at once, but don’t over-crowd the frying pan. Fry the fritters on both sides until they are golden and they feel firm. You don’t want any raw batter remaining within the fritter.
- Top with the cream cheese mixture or serve it as a dip on the side.
Top Tip: Try with various spices such as Aleppo pepper and sumac. Mint, basil and coriander can all be added for flavour.
Per 100g Calories: 131, Carbohydrates: 20.0g, Sugars: 1.5g, Fat: 2.0g, Saturates: 0.2g, Protein: 6.4g, Salt: 0.37g
For the Cream Cheese
- 50g (1/2 cup) walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 100g (3/4 cup) cashew cheese
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Mix the walnuts with cream cheese. Add lime juice and zest and chives and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Top Tip: As an alternative to cashew cheese use a shop bought vegan cream cheese, or strain soya yoghurt in muslin pressed into a sieve over a bowl to thicken up.
Per 100g Calories: 497, Carbohydrates: 10.0g, Sugars: 3.3g, Fat: 43.0g, Saturates: 6.9g, Protein: 16.0g, Salt: 0.20g
Recipes from: Demuths Cookery School
Seen in March 2018 (Issue 36) of Vegan Life magazine