Try swapping your traditional pizza dough with something different as we show you how to make a base made from cauliflower
- 500g (3 cups) cauliflower
- 3 tbsp flax seeds + 9 tbsp water
- 150g (1 cup) rice flour
- 150g (1 cup) chickpea flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 30g nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (390ºF, gas mark 6), line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Roughly chop the cauliflower. Place the florets in a food processor, and pulse, until the consistency is rice-like.
- Place the cauli rice in a non-stick pan and dry cook for about 5 minutes. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, place ‘rice’ in a cheesecloth (or tea towel) and strain as much liquid as possible.
- Mix together the flax and water in a small bowl to create ‘flax eggs’ and leave to stand for 5 minutes until gloopy.
- In a large bowl, mix the cauliflower, flax eggs, rice and chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, herbs and salt with your hands. Add more chickpea flour if too sticky or more water if too dry (1 tsp at a time).
- Knead the dough on a floured surface and shape the crust onto your baking tray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Add sauce and toppings of your choice and bake for a further 10-15 minutes.
For more Cauliflower based recipes, be sure to check out issue 24 of Vegan Life