Try out this zingy salad made with leeks, courgette and fresh herbs.
- 400g (3 cups) baby leeks
- 400g (2¼ cups) courgettes
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 12 basil leaves, shredded
- Small handful parsley, chopped
- 20g (¼ cup) pine nuts, toasted
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp English mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- A handful of rocket
- Salt and pepper
- Remove any tough outer leaves from the baby leeks. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and blanch the leeks for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water. Drain once again and pat dry with kitchen paper to remove any excess water.
- Slice the courgettes into eight lengthways and remove the seeds with a sharp knife. Place in a large bowl with the leeks, drizzle with a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a chargrill pan until smoking and add the vegetables, in batches, so you don’t overcrowd the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly charred and keep to one side.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the maple syrup, mustard, olive oil and vinegar with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the char-grilled vegetables, adding the herbs, lemon zest and rocket. Toss together well. Taste to check the seasoning and tip onto a serving dish, sprinkling with pine nuts just before you serve the salad.
Taken from March 2017 (Issue 24) Vegan Life Magazine
Recipes and images from : britishleeks.co.uk