- 2 200g packets ground seitan
- 130g whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 80ml (1/3 cup) BBQ sauce, plus 1 tbsp more for brushing burgers
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup
- ½ tsp sea salt, plus to taste
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Dijon or German mustard
- 10 slices Follow Your Heart Cheddar Slices, each cut into 3-inch circles
- 2 tbsp neutral tasting oil (safflower)
- Generous spread of Follow Your Heart Vegenaise, for buns
- ½ red onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 tomato, sliced into rounds
- 3 leaves romaine lettuce, sliced into large squares
- 5 vegan hamburger buns, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 4.
- In a large food processor, add seitan, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, BBQ sauce, lemon juice, brown rice syrup, sea salt, pepper and mustard. Pulse until uniform.
- Scoop 32g seitan mixture and press into a large disc.
- Place 2 rounds Follow Your Heart Cheddar Slices in the centre. Enclose with seitan from edges and re-form into a patty shape. Repeat for all patties.
- Heat griddle over medium heat and add oil. Add patties and cook for about 6-7 minutes per side. Brush patties with BBQ sauce once flipped.
- Toast hamburger buns and spread Follow Your Heart Vegenaise on a bun. Add cheese-stuffed burgers to a bun. Top with onion, tomato, and romaine lettuce. Serve warm.
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Follow Your Heart