Fudgy and delicious, these brownies make the perfect treat to beat those chocolate cravings. The added cherries give a moist, fruity lift reminiscent of Black Forest gateau.
- 130g (2/3 cup) coconut oil
- 80g (1/3 cup) cocoa butter
- 70g (½ cup + 3tbsp) cocoa powder
- 120ml (½ cup) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds mixed with 6 tbsp water
- 125g (heaped ½ cup) soft brown sugar
- 100g (scant ½ cup) caster sugar
- 70g (heaped 1/3 cup) ground almonds
- 125g (1 heaped cup) self-raising flour
- 70g (1/3 cup) cherries, pitted
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and grease a 7-inch square brownie tin.
- Melt the coconut oil and cocoa butter in a pan and stir in the cocoa powder and maple syrup. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the sugar with the chia seeds and add to the melted coconut mixture.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until well combined and spoon into the tin.
- Bake for 20 mins. Remove from oven and leave to cool in the tin. Enjoy warm as a pudding or serve when completely cooled.
Per serving (82g) Calories: 363, Carbohydrates: 40.8g, Sugars: 27.4g, Salt: 0.87g, Fat: 22.4g, Saturates: 13.8g, Protein: 3.8g
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine