Put together a deliciously sweet weekend brunch with this recipe for Chia French Toast with Caramelised Bananas, topped with Maple Syrup
Makes 4 servings | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the Batter
- 1 ½ tbsp ground chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened vegan milk (we used soy)
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch ground cardamom (optional)
- Mild flavoured oil and vegan butter for frying.
- 4 thick slices of rustic, crusty bread (slightly stale works best)
- 2 just ripe bananas
- Maple syrup, vegan butter and icing sugar to serve
- Mix together all the batter ingredients in wide bowl and leave to thicken in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- When the batter is ready, take out of the fridge and heat a wide frying pan on a medium high heat.
- Add a tablespoon of oil and a teaspoon of butter to the pan, and begin to dip the slices of bread into the batter, one at a time, leaving each slice to soak for 10 seconds or soon each side.
- Lay the soaked bread carefully into the pan and cook, turning every few minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- Slice the bananas into ½ cm rounds and add to the pan with an extra teaspoon of butter for the last 5 mins of cooking time.
- Serve the toast with the banana slices, a drizzle of maple syrup and a light dusting of icing sugar.
Nutrition (per 100g)
Calories: 142 | Carbohydrates: 24.0g | Sugars: 7.9g | Fat: 2.9g | Saturates: 0.6g | Protein: 4.7g | Salt: 0.35