Makes 24 crackers (approx)
For the crackers
- 180g (2 cups) chickpea/gram flour
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 80ml (1/3 cup) + 1-2 tbsp warm water, plus more if needed
- Za’atar spice (see recipe below)
- Sea salt and pepper for garnishing
For the za’atar spice mix
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried marjoram
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
For the pea houmous
- 75g (1/2 cup) frozen peas, defrosted
- 75g (1/2 cup) chickpeas
- Handful coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 120ml (½ cup) olive oil
- Pinch ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To make the cracker dough
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 350°F) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the chickpea flour with the salt and baking powder until combined. Using your hands, rub the olive oil into the flour to distribute evenly, this will take about 2 minutes – make sure there are no large clumps.
- Transfer the flour mixture to a food processor. With the processor running, drizzle the warm water into the blender through the spout until the mixture comes together. If your dough is still dry, add more water by the 1/2 tablespoon until dough ball has formed. Knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Divide it into two pieces and wrap each piece with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- To make the crackers, prepare a flat work surface with two pieces of parchment paper. Place one piece of dough on top of one piece of parchment, wet your hands a bit and flatten the dough with your palm. Cover dough with second piece of parchment and roll out to an 1/8-inch thickness with a rolling pin.
- Sprinkle the rolled dough with the za’atar spices then using your rolling pin, roll over the dough once more to push za’atar spice mix into the dough’s surface.
- Using a small cookie cutter, cut little biscuits out of the dough then using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of crackers with olive oil and sprinkle with the sea salt and pepper.
- Transfer the crackers to prepared baking sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes). Rotate the crackers halfway through (crackers will be lightly browned on the edges when done).
- Remove from the oven and let crackers cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
To make the pea houmous
- In a food processor pulse first 7 ingredients 30 to 40 seconds or to a desired consistency then season with the salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the crackers with the pea houmous as a starter or a tasty and healthy snack.
You can also experiment with the cracker topping; if you don’t fancy using the za’atar spice mix, top your crackers with just salt and pepper or a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
Per serving (134g) Calories: 503, Carbohydrates: 31.9g, Sugars: 2.9g, Fat: 37.0g, Saturates: 5.0g, Protein: 13.0g, Salt: 2.1g
Taken from July 2018 (Issue 40) Vegan Life Magazine