Makes 6 large patties
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 2 garlic cloves
- 55g (⅓ cup) fresh or frozen sweetcorn
- 70g (½ cup) fresh or (frozen and thawed peas)
- Large handful fresh herbs (I like to use basil, oregano, and/or thyme)
- 1-2 large handfuls spinach (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 small onion, small diced
- ½ tsp spicy smoked Spanish paprika (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin (optional)
- 3 tbsp dried bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp plain white flour
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- In a food processor, blend together the chickpeas, garlic, corn, peas, herbs, and spinach (if using) for a few minutes, until smooth.
- Add the carrots, onion, spices, bread crumbs, and flour to the food processor and blend together. Turn out the mixture
into a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan over mediumhigh heat.
- Form the mixture into patties (we like to make 9cm (3½in) patties) and fry until golden, 3-5 minutes per side. You can cook a few at a time, but keep in mind that they’re much easier to flip when you have more space! Do not fuss with the burgers while they’re cooking; flip them just once, very carefully.
Top Tip: These are great for freezing — you’ll never need to buy a processed veggie burger again! Once the patties have fully cooled, individually wrap each one and place in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for later. When you’re ready to enjoy them again, reheat on the stove in an oiled pan or in the oven on low heat until heated through.
Per 100g Calories: 115, Carbohydrates: 17.0g, Sugars: 1.8g, Fat: 2.0g, Saturates: 0.2g, Protein: 5.7g, Salt: 0.18g
Recipe and Images Courtesy of: The Plantiful Table: Easy, From-the-Earth Recipes for the Whole Family.
January 2018 (Issue 34) Vegan Life Magazine