This high protein recipe for a Buffalo Chickpea Protein Bowl with Raw Hemp Ranch Dressing will fuel you throughout your workout
For the Chickpeas
- 1 400g tin of Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp sugar, any kind
- 6 tbs buffalo sauce
For the Hemp Ranch Dressing
- 120g (¾ cup) shelled hemp hearts
- 115ml (½ cup) water
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs dill pickle brine
- ½ tsp dried dill, or 1 tsp fresh dill, chopped.
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
To Assemble the Bowls
- Cooked quinoa, warm
- Lightly cooked kale, or any greens of choice
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Begin by gently sautéing the onions and garlic for the chickpeas, in a non stick frying pan with a little oil.
- Add the chickpeas, tomato paste, paprika, sugar, and a couple of splashes of water to the pan and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the hot sauce and allow to heat through before removing from the heat. Set aside to cool slightly while preparing the rest of the dish
- For the Hemp ranch dressing, add all the ingredients to a high performance blender and process until very smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- To assemble the dish, first add a base of quinoa to the bowls, followed by a generous helping of kale and the chickpeas. Add some sliced avocado to the side and drizzle the finished bowl with the ranch dressing.
Taken From September 2017 (Issure 30) Vegan Life Magazine