Have some avocados hanging out in your fridge that you’re not sure what to do with? Why not toast them under the grill then stuff them with this chickpea salad to for a delicious start to the day!
- 1 x 400 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ of a cucumber, finely chopped
- ½ fresh mango, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 2 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 large avocados (slightly under ripe)
- A drizzle of olive oil
- ½ tsp salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the grill to high.
- In a food processor, add the chickpeas and pulse several times; they should be slightly mashed, but not blended. If you don’t have a food processor, simply use a potato masher or fork.
- Put the chickpea mash in a medium bowl and add the celery, red pepper, cucumber, mango, capers, vegan mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Stir together.
- Cut the avocados in half, take out the stone, leave the skin on, and lightly coat with olive oil. Place face side down on the grill for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the grill, lightly sprinkle with salt and let cool for 5 minutes. Add the chickpea salad to the centre of the grilled avocado and serve!
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Vega
At Vega®, Clean means: Non-GMO, suitable for vegetarians and vegans, gluten-free and non-dairy ingredients.