The toppings of these tacos include coriander, avocado and sour cream, which offer a fresh, cool contrast. Impress your guests by making your own spice mix – it adds a vibrant homemade flavour that is superior to industrial mixes.
Makes 8 tacos – serves 4 as a main and 8 as a starter
- 2x 400g cans of green (young) jackfruit in brine
- Vegetable oil, for frying
To make the spice mix:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger or ground ginger
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or raw cacao powder
- ¾ tsp salt, plus extra to taste
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 100ml water
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Nutritonal yeast to sprinkle (optional)
- 150ml vegan sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Serve with fresh salad toppings of your choice, such as, chopped or sliced avocado, red onion peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, cabbage and baby spinach.
- Mix together all ingredients for the spice mix in a bowl into a paste.
- Heat a frying pan to a medium heat.
- Add a drizzle of vegetable oil and then the spice mix, and break it up with a wooden spoon.
- And the jackfruit and fry, stirring, for 2–3 minutes until they are well coated with the spice mixture and fragrant.
- Add water and let the jackfruit simmer and reduce in the spice mix for 20 minutes; if the pan dries out too quickly, add a little more water.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, then set aside.
- Fill the tortillas with the jackfruit and fresh salad toppings and serve with lime wedges, sour cream and hot sauce.
Per serving (405g) Calories: 653, Carbohydrates: 98.9g, Sugars: 42.8g, Fat: 25.5g, Saturates: 5.9g, Protein: 13.0g, Salt: 3.3g
Recipes excerpted from: Feasts of Veg by Nina Olsson is published by Kyle Books, £18.99 (www. kylebooks.co.uk) Photography: Nina Olsson
Taken From July 2018 (Issue 40) Vegan Life Magazine