Ingredients for the base
- 210g (1½ cups) hazelnuts
- 100g (½ cup) dates, pitted & de-stoned
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, you can use cacao
- 40g (1∕4 cup) dairy-free dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil, melted
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for the orange layer
- 200g (11∕3 cups) cashew nuts, soaked
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Juice of 2 large oranges
- Zest of 2 large oranges
- 110ml (½ cup) coconut oil, melted
- 90g (1∕4 cup) maple syrup
To make the base
- Line a cake tin with grease proof paper.
- In a food processor/blender, add in the hazelnuts, de-stoned dates, cocoa powder, melted chocolate, coconut oil and salt. blitz on high until like breadcrumbs.
- Firmly press the mixture into the lined tin and pop into the freezer.
To make the orange layer
- Drain the cashew nuts and pop them into a food processor/blender along with the vanilla extract, orange juice, orange zest, melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Blend on high speed for around 5-8 minutes, until smooth.
- Pour the creamy orange layer onto the base and pop the tin back into the freezer to set. Allow the cheesecake to set fully. This will take around 4-6 hours (but I left mine overnight).
- To serve, defrost the cheesecake for around 15-20 minutes until fully defrosted. Slice and enjoy.
I decorated my cheesecake with some orange slices, a sprinkle of orange zest, a dusting of cocoa powder and dairy-free chocolate orange chocolate.
Top Tip: The cashew nuts need to be soaked overnight in water. Just make sure the water is covering the nuts.
Taken from April 2017 (Issue 25) Vegan Life Magazine
Recipes and images from : The Little Blog of Vegan by Holly Jade. Web: thelittleblogofvegan.com Instagram: instagram.com/thelittleblogofvegan Twitter: twitter.com/blogofvegan Facebook: facebook.com/littleblogofvegan