- 150g brown basmati rice
- 10g cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large aubergine, cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp dried curry leaves
- 15g fresh root ginger, chopped
- 350g tub tomato and chilli sauce
- 10g creamed coconut, chopped
- ½ x 28g pack fresh coriander, chopped
- Cook the rice in boiling water for 20 minutes or until tender. Heat a dry frying pan and toast the cashew nuts, shaking the pan until they are lightly browned. Slide onto a plate. Heat the oil in the pan and fry the aubergine and onion for 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently until golden. Add the curry leaves and ginger, and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato and chilli sauce, and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a little water if the sauce starts to dry out.
- Drain the rice and return to the pan. Stir in the chopped coconut and coriander, and heat through for a couple of minutes until piping hot. Spoon the rice onto serving plates, top with the sauce and serve scattered with the cashew nuts.