- 4 medium courgettes (zucchini)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 225g (3 cups) cooked butter beans
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp chopped basil leaves
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 6 tbsp water + 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 60g (2∕3 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- With the wide side of a box grater, grate the courgettes. Sprinkle with salt and place in a piece of cheesecloth or kitchen paper. Squeeze to remove as much water as possible and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the butter beans, cayenne, basil, lemon zest, and flax egg. Blend on low for 30–45 seconds until smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the courgettes and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat. Portion out 4 tablespoons of the bean-courgette mixture, gently form into a ball, and place in the frying pan. With a spatula, lightly press down to form a patty. Working in batches, form the remaining patties and cook for 2–3 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Why not try… Add additional herbs, such as oregano or marjoram, to the fritter mixture.
Taken from April 2017 (Issue 25) Vegan Life Magazine
Recipes and images from : Power Pulses is published by DK, 1 March 2017, £16.99.