This carbonara is super easy to make and is so creamy and filling. By using silken tofu it reduces the fat content of the dish but retains the flavour – an all round crowd pleaser.
- 300g Silken Tofu
- Stock pot (knorr) – or use a crumbled up stock cube
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Splash vegan white wine (we used Oxford Landing from Coop) (optional)
- 500g closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1x medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp Olive oil (or fry lite)
- Vegan ham (we used Quorn vegan ham slices), sliced into strips
- 300g spaghetti, dried (use GF if you want)
- Italian style hard vegan cheese. (Violife parmesan)
- Sea salt, to taste
- A little soya milk to make sauce thinner, if needed
- To make the carbonara sauce, put the tofu, stock pot, onion powder, garlic powder and nutritional yeast in a tall jug and blitz with a hand blender until smooth. Add a little soya to thin sauce if required. Set aside.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook pasta as per packet instructions.
- While your pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a frying pan then add onions and mushrooms and fry until the onions are brown. Once cooked, pour the sauce over the mushrooms and onions and stir to combine. You can now add the splash of wine. Cook through until warm, stirring to combine.
- Drain the pasta and add to a large mixing bowl, add the sauce and vegan ham and mix together.