This carbonara is super easy to make and is so creamy and filling. By using silken tofu it reduces the fat content of the dish but retains the flavour – an all round crowd pleaser.
- 300g spaghetti, dried (use GF if you want)
- Sea salt, to taste
For the carbonara sauce
- 300g Silken Tofu
- 1 crumbled up stock cube
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- A little soya milk to make sauce thinner, if needed
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or fry lite)
- 1x medium onion, finely diced
- 500g closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- Handful spinach
- Vegan ham (we used Quorn vegan ham slices), sliced into strips
- To make the carbonara sauce, put the tofu, stock cube, onion powder, garlic powder and nutritional yeast in a tall jug and blitz with a hand blender until smooth. Add a little soya milk or water to thin sauce if required. Set aside.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook pasta as per packet instructions.
- Optional: While your pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a frying pan then add onions and mushrooms and fry until the onions are brown. Once mushrooms have softened, add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Pour the sauce over the onions, mushrooms and spinach and stir to combine. Cook through until warm, stirring to combine.
- Drain the pasta and add to a large mixing bowl, add the sauce and vegan ham and mix together, then serve.