Satisfy your takeaway cravings with this recipe for crispy meat-free duck pancakes served with hoisin sauce.
- 280g (13/4 cups) gluten mock duck, well rinsed
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce (see below or use readymade)
- 6 spring onions, trimmed
- ½ cucumber
- 10 Chinese-style pancakes, frozen
- 2 tbsp plum sauce (optional)
To make the Hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp agave syrup
- 2 tbsp black bean paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste or powder
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- ¼ tsp Sriracha (or use a pinch chilli powder)
- Baking sheet, oiled
- Steamer basket
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, (Gas Mark 4, 350°F).
- To make the hoisin sauce, place all the ingredients into a small pan and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 4–5 minutes until the sauce is thickened and glossy. Cool and pour into sterilized jars, where it will keep for several months in the fridge.
- Ensure the mock duck is well rinsed, and then shred it into smaller pieces and strips using your hands. Add 2 tablespoons of the hoisin sauce and mix well with your hands.
- Layer the pieces onto the prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 20–30 minutes, turning halfway through. Cook until the edges are crispy, but not burnt.
- To prepare the vegetables, use a large, sharp chef’s knife to slice the spring onions in half, then slice each piece lengthways, trying to maintain the shape. Then slice each piece lengthways again, several times, to create spring onion strips.
- Slice the cucumber lengthways and, using a small spoon, scoop out the seeds. Slice each half across the middle, to create four pieces, then cut each piece into thin strips.
- Place the steamer basket over a small pan that allows it to sit atop the pan without falling to the bottom. Add about 5 cm of water to the pan and bring it to the boil. Add all of the pancakes to the steamer and place it on the pan. Cook the pancakes for about 10–15 minutes until all the pancakes are softened and warm. If you don’t have a steamer, you can also place the pancakes, still wrapped, in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- To serve, add the remaining hoisin and the plum sauce (if using) into two little pots, alongside the shredded vegetables, steamed pancakes and crispy mock duck. To fill the pancake, spread either hoisin or plum sauce onto the pancake, add a couple of pinches of shredded vegetables and a spoonful of mock duck. Wrap, roll and eat immediately.
- Calories: 262
- Carbohydrates: 35.0g
- Sugars: 3.6g
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturates: 5.1g
- Protein: 8.7g
- Salt: 0.21g
Recipe and Images from: My Vegan Travels by Jackie Kearney, Ryland Peters & Small, (£16.99) Photography by Clare Winfield © Ryland Peters and Small