- 180ml (¾ cup) water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp mild curry powder
- 90g (½ cup) couscous
Ingredients for Crispy Tofu
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp paprika powder
- ½ block firm tofu
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp houmous
- 75g (½ cup) chopped cucumber
- A handful cherry tomatoes per jar, halved
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Heat the water for the couscous in a large pot. Add the salt, lemon juice, and mild curry powder. When it’s boiling, remove the pot from the stovetop. Pour in the couscous and cover with the lid. Let it soak for 3 to 4 minutes until the couscous is done and ready.
- For the crispy tofu, combine the flour with the salt and paprika powder in a large mixing bowl. Cut the tofu into small cubes and toss it in the flour mixture. Give the bowl a good shake until the tofu is coated equally. Heat a large pan with the olive oil and add the tofu as soon as the oil gets hot. Let it cook for a couple of minutes on medium to high heat until the tofu is brown on all sides.
- Now, let’s assemble! Make the houmous the bottom layer so it doesn’t soak up the couscous. Then, add the cucumber cubes and halved cherry tomatoes, followed by the curried couscous, then the crispy tofu cubes. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley, and you’re good to go.
Per 100g Calories: 217, Carbohydrates: 26.0g, Sugars: 1.8g, Fat: 9.3g, Saturates: 0.6g, Protein: 6.0g, Salt: 0.84g
Recipe and Images from: The Veginners Cookbook, Skyhorse Publishing. Copyright 2018 by Bianca Haun and Sascha Nadere
From March 2018 (Issue 36) Vegan Life Magazine