Don’t miss out on this essential Christmas side dish. Whip up these creamy potatoes that all the family can enjoy.
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1.25kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 250ml (1 cup) soya cream
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp bouillon powder
- 3 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F/Gas 4 and grease a large, deep baking dish with a little dairy-free butter.
- Cover the base of the dish with a single layer of sliced potatoes and sprinkle over some onion slices, garlic, seasoning and dot with small pieces of dairy-free butter
- Repeat this process, building up the layers, until all the ingredients have been used.
- Pour the soya cream into a measuring jug and add the bouillon powder, mustard and some seasoning. Add 600ml water so that you have 850ml liquid in total. Pour this over the potatoes, pressing them down so that everything is coated in the cream.
- Add more dots of butter to the top and cover the dish with foil. Transfer to the oven, on a baking tray, and leave to bake for 1 hour.
- After an hour, remove the foil from the dish and return it to the oven to cook for a further 40 minutes.
- When ready to serve, check the potatoes are fully cooked by piercing the bake through the centre with a knife. The potatoes should feel tender.
- Serve as a side or as a main dish with a fresh green salad.
Per serving (218g) Calories: 208, Carbohydrates: 28.1g, Sugars: 3.0g, Salt: 0.41g, Fat: 8.9g Saturates: 1.2g, Protein: 4.5g
Taken from December 2018 (Issue 45) Christmas Cooking – Vegan Life Magazine
Recipe courtesy of: plantbasedmag.com