Delicious Butternut Dahl
This delicious Butternut Dahl is great to feed multiple people. A perfect autumnal warmer with affordable ingredients.
- 1 butternut squash peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garam marsala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 45g Flora Dairy Free
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 finely chopped red chilli
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 200g (7oz) red lentils
- ½ lemon
- Coriander and vegan yogurt (to serve)
- Heat the oven to 220C/450F/Gas7
- On a baking tray, toss the butternut squash chunks in the vegetable oil, garam marsala and a big pinch of salt. Roast for 30 minutes, until softened
- Whilst the squash is roasting, add the cumin seeds to a saucepan and toast for 30 seconds, then add the Flora dairy free.
- Once melted, add the chopped onion and gently fry for a couple of minutes, until starting to turn translucent. Add the crushed garlic, red chilli and grated ginger, fry for 3 minutes longer.
- Add the turmeric, then tip in the lentils, stirring to coat them in the spices. Pour 800ml of water into the saucepan, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are softened
- Once the lentils are cooked, add the roasted squash, and lemon juice, taste and season. Serve topped with a dollop of vegan yogurt and coriander
Recipe courtesy of Flora