Put a plant-based spin on a carnivores’ classic with The Meatless Farm Co’s plant-based mince and sausages.
- 400g Meatless Farm mince
- 1 pack Meatless Farm sausages (6)
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tbsp ground coriander
- ½ tbsp cayenne pepper (or to your liking!)
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- Soy sauce
- Salt and black pepper
- Basmati rice
- Soured cream (optional)
- Cheese (optional)
- 6 sausage buns
- Place a cast-iron casserole pan on the BBQ (if you’re using a hob instead place the pan on a medium-high heat) and add a good drizzle of oil to the pan. When it’s heated, fry the plant-based mince for 8-10 mins and set aside.
- Finely chop the onions and fry for about 5 mins in the pan, or until soft. Meanwhile, finely chop the coriander, chilli and garlic. Add it all to the pan to fry for a further 2 minutes, then add all the spices, turn up whatever tune you’re listening to, and mix everything together.
- Add the cooked mince and give it a good stir. Then add the chopped tomatoes and a splash of soy sauce if you have it (to add umami) and stir. Cover the pan and allow to simmer for 20 mins – 1 hour (chilli is best cooked low and slow), stirring occasionally and adding a bit more water if it’s drying out too quickly.
- Whilst the chilli is cooking, place the sausages on the grill and allow to cook for 8-10 mins, placing the BBQ lid down and turning occasionally to allow for a good char.
- Place the cooked sausages in the buns. Season the chilli to taste and cover the sausages. Sprinkle cheese and extra coriander or try a dollop of soured cream. Play Johnny Cash’s ‘Ring of Fire’ and enjoy your fine creation.
Recipes and Images Courtesy of The Meatless Farm Co.