Shake things up over barbecue season with this umami explosion from The Meatless Farm Co and DJ BBQ.
- 2 packs Meatless Farm burgers (4)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Salt and pepper
- 300g mushrooms chopped
- 4 brioche buns
Tomato and soy sauce marinade
- 100ml light soy sauce
- 50ml rice wine vinegar
- 40g brown sugar
- 1 sprig of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp of chopped rosemary
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 6 large tomatoes
- For the marinade, combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sauce, garlic and ginger in a large bowl. Then it’s time to add your herbs (dried oregano and rosemary). Slice your tomatoes so that they are roughly 2cm in width, add into the marinade and leave to soak for a minimum of 30 mins. Top tip – pack an extra punch of flavour by preparing your marinade either the night before or the morning of your BBQ. This will give your tomatoes a good time to bathe in the soy sauce.
- Place two frying pans onto the BBQ grill, add a drizzle of vegetable oil and bring to heat. Add your chopped mushrooms into the first pan, then season for flavour. Gently stir for 5 mins.
- In a separate pan heat your oil and season your burgers. Leave to fry for 3 – 4 mins, turning occasionally. Top tip – frying the burgers in a pan rather than directly over the grill of the BBQ will allow you to get a better crust on the burger resulting in an even better flavour.
- Toast your brioche buns directly onto the grill of the BBQ for 1 min as this will create a barrier for the juicy marinade and stop them from going soggy.
- To serve, place the burgers and tomatoes into the buns and season.
Recipes and Images Courtesy of The Meatless Farm Co.