These energy boost bars are simple to make and great if you need a hit of energy. Protein rich nuts and seeds along side fuelling oats make the perfect pick-me-up.
- 125g (½ cup) vegan butter
- 125g (½ cup) 100% peanut butter
- 150g (3½ cups) soft brown sugar
- 50ml (¼ cup) maple syrup
- Orange and lemon zest, finely grated
- 150g (½ cup) soft dried apricots, chopped
- 50g (½ cup) dried goji berries
- 100g (1 cup) mixed seeds, such as sunflower, pumpkin, flax or chia
- 250g (1⅔ cups) rolled oats
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- Preheat oven to 170°C (Gas Mark 4, 340°F) and line a rectangular tin with baking paper.
- In a heavy based pan, gently heat the butter, peanut butter, sugar, maple syrup and zests until melted and evenly combined.
- Mix together the oats, seeds and dried fruit in a large bowl and add the sugar and butter mixture.
- Finally, add the mashed banana and mix everything together thoroughly until well combined.
- Pour into the lined baking dish and press well into the sides and on top with the back of a spoon to compress.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 mins until golden.
- Leave to cool in the tin, cut into squares, and store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Per 100g Calories: 376, Carbohydrates: 43.0g, Sugars: 26.0g, Fat: 17.0g, Saturates: 3.6g, Protein: 9.4g, Salt: 0.29g
Taken from September 2017 (Issue 30) Vegan Life Magazine