We all lead busy lives, meaning that sometimes fast food is the solution. It doesn’t get quicker and tastier than this. Crunchy, fresh, tart, salty and delicious.
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 2 slices of red onion
- 2 slices of tomato
- 2 slices of yellow (bell) pepper
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices of good-quality shop-bought bread
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin Seed Pesto, optional
For the ultimate hummus
- 200 g (1 1/2 cups) tinned chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbsp light tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/2 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 beetroot, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp capers, chopped
- pink Himalayan salt and black pepper, to taste
- Prepare all the veggies that are going into your epic sandwich and set aside.
- For the hummus, add all the ingredients to a blender and blitz until you have a lovely smooth texture, then set aside.
- Now get 2 pieces of bread and spread them with pumpkin seed pesto (if using) and top with the hummus. Layer with veggies in between. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste before adding the top of the sandwich and giving it a good squeeze.
- This is not date food – it is messy, gooey and absolutely yummy!
- Tip The hummus is a great standby ingredient and will last for up to a week, covered, in the fridge.
- Add it to bowl food, toast or use it as a dip.
Calories: 170, Carbohydrates: 15.0g, Sugars: 1.8g, Fat: 8.8g, Saturates: 1.3g, Protein: 6.3g, Salt: 0.53g
Top Top: The hummus is a great standby ingredient and will last for up to a week, covered, in the fridge. Add it to bowl food, toast or use it as a dip.
Recipe and Images Courtestyn of Happy food by Bettina Campolucci-Bordi
Taken from May 2018 (Issue 38) Vegan Life Magazine