Festive Mac n Cheese Balls with Mince & Cranberry
Makes: 16 balls
- 100g macaroni pasta
- 1/2 pack Meatless Farm meat-free mince
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml unsweetened soya milk, for the sauce, and extra for breadcrumbing the balls
- 2 large handfuls vegan cheese
- 1 large handful of dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 1 pack panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
1. Cook the macaroni pasta to pack instructions and set to one side once cooked.
2. Remove from the packaging and then fry the Meatless Farm mince in a non-stick pan with a small amount of vegetable oil until browned.
3. In a separate non-stick pan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and stir with a silicone whisk to form a thick paste.
4. Cook the pasta for approx. 3 mins, stirring all the time. Add the soya milk sporadically, stirring in between and allowing to thicken, to create a thick roux.
5. Once you have a thick white sauce, add in the cheese and mustard, stirring until the cheese has melted.
6. Incorporate the cooked mince and pasta into the cheese mixture and then add the cranberries. Leave to cool.
7. With wet hands, form the mixture into ping pong sized balls and chill in the fridge.
8. Take 3 bowls and put 2 tbsp flour in the first, a splash of soya milk in the second, and panko bread crumbs in the third.
9. Once the balls have chilled, roll them in the plain flour, then the milk, and finally the breadcrumbs.
10. Heat 2cm of vegetable oil in a high-sided pan to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Carefully place the mac balls into the oil and shallow fry, turning often. Remove from the pan with tongs when golden brown, and place on kitchen roll.
11. Serve with a cranberry dipping sauce.
Recipe credit: meatlessfarms.com