Makes approx. 25 medium cookies
- 190g (generous ¾ cup) non-dairy butter
- 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses/ maple syrup
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 150g (generous ¾ cup) soft, light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 orange, zest only
- ½ lemon, zest only
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 450g (3 cups) plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
- Place a heavy based saucepan over a medium low heat. Add the molasses, syrup, sugar, water, spices and zest to the pan and heat gently, stirring to combine, until everything has dissolved.
- Add the butter to the pan and once it has melted, mix in the bicarbonate of soda and stir well.
- Gradually add the flour to the pan, stirring to bring it all together into a soft, pliable dough. Wrap the ball of dough in cling film and set aside until cooled.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat your oven to 180°C (Gas mark 4, 350°F) and line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. Dust the surface of each with flour.
- Divide the dough in half and place each piece on a baking sheet. Dust with a little flour and roll out on the trays to the thickness of a pound coin.
- Use the cutters to stamp out shapes in the dough, as close together as possible to minimise waste. Once all the dough has been used, peel away the surrounding edges of the dough
- Transfer the trays to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- When the cookies are ready, remove from the oven and leave to cool on the trays completely before decorating
Recipe taken from December 2017 (Issue 33) Vegan Life Magazine