Orange always works well at Christmas, and if you’re a citrus fan you’ll adore these festive biscuits. Perfect to make with little ones to hang on the tree.
- 190g (generous ¾ cup) dairy-free butter
- 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 150g (generous ¾ cup) soft, light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 orange, zest only
- ½ lemon, zest only
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 450g (3 cups) plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
You will also need:
- 2 baking sheets
- Christmas and winter themed cookie cutters
- Writing icing tubes (check the ingredients), or homemade icingmade with icing sugar mixed to a
paste with a splash of water
- Edible glitter, silver balls, or other decorations
- 1 skewer
- Parchment paper
- String or ribbon
- Place a heavy-based saucepan over a medium low heat. Add the molasses, syrup, sugar, water, spices and zest to the pan and heat gently, stirring to combine, until everything has dissolved.
- Add the butter to the pan and once it has melted, mix in the bicarbonate of soda and stir well.
- Gradually add the flour to the pan, stirring to bring it all together into a soft, pliable dough. Wrap the ball of dough in clingfilm and set aside until cooled.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Dust the surface of each with flour.
- Divide the dough in half and place each piece on a baking sheet. Dust with a little flour and roll out on the trays to the thickness of a pound coin.
- Use the cutters to stamp out shapes in the dough, as close together as possible to minimise waste. Once all the dough has been used, peel away the surrounding edges of the dough. If you want to hang your cookies as decorations, use a skewer to make a hole in the top of each.
- Transfer the trays to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- When the cookies are ready, remove from the oven and leave to cool before decorating.
Per serving (38g) Calories: 152, Carbohydrates: 24.2g, Sugars: 10g, Salt: 0.34g, Fat: 5.6g Saturates: 1.1g, Protein: 1.7g
Taken from December 2018 (Issue 45) Vegan Life Magazine