This recipe for focaccia with black olives yields tasty results. When you’ve masterered how to make the base, try adding your own twist!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 7g / 1 sachet easy-blend dried yeast
- 250g (2 cups) plain white flour
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 180ml (¾ cup) warm water
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped rosemary
- ½ tsp coarsely crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 150g (1 cup) pitted black olives
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Put the yeast, flour and salt in a food processor mixer bowl. In a jug, mix the olive oil with the water. Turn on the food processor (use the dough hook), then pour in the oil and water mixture.
- When combined, remove the dough from the bowl and, by hand, knead in a little extra flour for about 2 minutes. (If not using a food processor, knead by hand for a total of 12 minutes.)
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size. This will take around 50 minutes.
- Pat down the dough, then stretch into a rectangle about 30 x 20cm. Transfer to an oiled baking sheet and prod the surface with your fingers to form dimples.
- In a bowl, mix the lemon zest and juice, garlic, rosemary, pepper and 1/2 tsp of the salt, then pour over the dough. Press the olives into the dimples and leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- Brush liberally with olive oil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C/400°F for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on the remaining salt.
Why not try some alternative toppings once you have mastered the focaccia base? We have suggested a few below., but feel free to experiment!
- Balsamic red onion
- Basil and cherry tomato
- Roasted peppers
- Sautéed mushrooms and garlic
- Home-made vegan pesto
Nutrition (per serving)
408 kcal | 20.2g fat | 3.1g saturates | 0.5g sugars | 1.7g salt | 7.5g protein
Recipe and image from lakeland.co.uk