Tenderstem® teamed up with Meera Sodha to create the exquisite forbidden rice salad with blistered greens and miso dressing recipe. It’s such a taste sensation that Meera included the recipe in her much-anticipated cookbook, East, which was published last week.
For the salad:
- 300g black venus rice
- 1.5 tbsps rapeseed oil
- 200g Tenderstem® broccoli
- 150g mangetout
- 1/4 (around 200g) shredded red cabbage
- 150g mixed radishes, topped, tailed and thinly sliced
- 150g defrosted edamame beans
- 1 avocado, cut into wedges at the last minute
For the dressing:
- 60g cashews
- 1cm peeled and roughly chopped ginger
- 3½ tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- 3½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup (or maple)
- 1 tsp salt
- Place the rice in a large pan, cover with plenty of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 18 minutes until tender. Drain, using a sieve then place the sieve over the saucepan, cover with a tea-towel and leave to one side.
- Next, make the dressing. Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a blender with 100ml of water and blend. Leave to one side. Taste and adjust the salt, lemon or miso as you wish.
- For the vegetables, heat 1½ tablespoons of rapeseed oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Once hot add the Tenderstem® broccoli and cook for 2 minutes. Then add a splash of water (around 3 tablespoons), toss and cover with the lid. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender, then transfer to a plate. Add another drizzle of oil to the pan and when hot add the mangetout. Cook for a couple of minutes until nicely blistered then add to the plate.
- To assemble the salad, place the cooked rice in a large serving bowl. Layer over the red cabbage, Tenderstem® broccoli and mangetout, followed by the raw radishes, edamame and avocado. Drizzle over the dressing, mix and serve.
Recipe by and images courtesy of Meera Sodha and Tenderstem® broccoli