Craving that luscious combination of coffee and cream? This vegan tiramisu is a fresh spin on the Italian classic, and perfect for a post BBQ dessert.
Instead of traditional sponge fingers, you’ll make a crust from oats, walnuts and dates. Trust us on this one. Simple with only two delicious layers, this layered dessert can be made ahead and sat waiting in the freezer ready to whip out on demand!
To make the crust:
- 100 g oats or walnuts (or a mix of both)
- 200 g dates
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the filling:
- 150 g cashews
- 45 g dessicated coconut
- 80ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 185 ml full fat coconut milk (type in a can)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 2 Tbsp vegan coffee liqueur, like Kahlua®. (If not using, replace with additional 1/4 tsp of instant coffee granules.)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- 2 Tbsp cacao nibs, or vegan chocolate sprinkles, for decoration
- To make the crust, in a food processor, grind the walnuts or oats, salt and coffee until it resembles a coarse flour. Add the dates and process until they are smooth and the mixture forms a ball. You may need to add 1 to 2 teaspoons of water to help the mixture blend easier.
- Line a 9- inch spring form cake tin or loaf tin with parchment paper. Press the crust into the bottom of the tin and press down evenly to give a smooth layer. Place in the freezer until the filling is ready.
- To make the filling, soak 75 g of the cashews and the coconut in boiling hot water for 20 minutes. Drain water and add cashews and coconuts to a high-speed blender.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients to the blender and blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust the flavours as desired.
- Pour the filling on top of the frozen crust. Place back in the freezer for 4 hours or overnight.
- Dust with cocoa powder and sprinkle with cacao nibs or sprinkles before serving.
- Serve frozen or slightly softened from the fridge.
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Vega
At Vega®, Clean means: Non-GMO, suitable for vegetarians and vegans, gluten-free and non-dairy ingredients.